Thursday, August 11, 2011

Learning to Walk

Thinking back on my writing career, thus far, reminds me of watching my kids as babies. First they rolled over, then started to crawl, then pulled up on things, then took their first (wobbly) steps on their own. They were relentless in their desire to learn to walk, taking a few steps before falling on their butts. And then they were back up trying again. Eventually, the steps got steadier. And eventually, they went from walking to running. Did they ever give up? No!

So what does my kids walking have to do with my writing career? Well other than the fact that I've recently realized that I'm getting old because my oldest started school... 

Anyway, I digress. I see my writing career taking a similar path that my kids took when they learned to walk. Before I could run, I had to learn to walk. And before I could walk, I had to take those shaky steps and not be afraid to fall down. And if I did fall down, I had to get right back up and try again.

The writing process can be grueling, and many a writer has given up during this stage, before they even have finished their first book. If you're reading this blog, you've probably already passed this stage. The thing that differentiates (in my opinion) aspiring writers from writers is their never ending perseverance. Writers hone their craft, getting critiques, going to conferences, reading books about writing. So - every last one of you is a WRITER. Not an aspiring writer. YOU ARE A WRITER! That in and of itself is reason to be proud. 

So you may fall down on your journey to becoming a published author. It's part of learning to 'walk'. And in the end your writing will benefit from your minor setbacks, because at each wall, you find a way around it. 

Hopefully this rambling post makes sense. I just want every writer out there to know that you are not alone. We are all on this journey to becoming published authors together. And we'll all reach our goals in our own time. Some may reach it sooner than others. But persevere and you WILL reach your goals. 


~~~

Shelley Watters writes romance for young adults and adults. She lives in Arizona with her husband, two kids and two dogs. She loves listening to music, reading good books and letting her imagination go wild as she creates new worlds and torments her characters in delicious ways. She is an active member of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. 

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love that you're around to kiss my ouchies when I fall. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a point where I almost gave up, but I realized how much I needed it. Writing gives me so much and I can't imagine not doing it everyday.

    ReplyDelete