Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bob Ross Was One Smart Cookie

Bob Ross was famous for always saying,


"I hope you never create a painting that you're totally satisfied with, for it's this dissatisfaction that will create the motivation necessary for you to start your next painting, armed with the knowledge you acquired from the previous one."

In an episode that I watched recently, he said that if we did manage to paint something that we were satisfied with, we might as well just up and quit then. We have nothing greater to strive for if we've reached our potential. He said we should then go find something else that we like to do and try and satisfy ourselves there.

I hope that we are never satisfied with our books, because it will keep us striving to make the next one the best that we can.

So, here's to dissatisfaction! *clink*

~~~
C.A. Marshall is a freelance editor, lit agent intern, YA writer, and loves to play with her dog Mollie. She dreams of one day owning a small house near the water, preferably in England, with a shelf full of books she has written and has helped others to write. She is currently single. And unagented. She can be found in Emmett, MI, at camarshall.com for writing, editorcassandra.com for editing, and on twitter @CA_Marshall.

3 comments:

  1. How much do I LOVE this post? It singlehandedly dispels the feeling I've had all week of, "This book(/these books) are just not what I want them to be and could be so much better!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I love him, always have. What great insight ;o) We also appreciate it more when it turns out the way we want it ;o)

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to dissatisfaction! I guess I'm where I belong since I'm very dissatisfied at the moment. :D

    ReplyDelete